Whether your move is just a temporary relocation or a permanent one, planning and preparation are necessary. Packing, moving, loading, and unloading are the common tasks usually involved before and during your home move. These tasks are physical straining when you own large and heavy pieces of furniture. Not to mention the mental exhaustion and stress a home move may cause to you especially if it’s your first time which may lead to forgetting some essential tasks that usually slip out of your mind.
Curious if you have already planned and prepared enough for your move? Here is a list of the essential tasks to never forget before you move. Checking this one by one will give you a higher chance of a successful, stress-free home move.
1. As mentioned above, planning and preparation play a big part in your home move. First on the list is packing which can take a lot of time. You can buy boxes, bubble wraps, packing paper for full protection but if you are on a tight budget, the use of recycled materials is also an option. Doing this task as early as you can make sure that every item is packed correctly and securely. However, if you plan to hire movers and packers in Dubai or movers and packers in Sharjah, the only thing you need to do is hire a trusted one as they will be doing all the work.
2. Share your moving plans for at least a few months with your family and friends. Doing this will give them enough time to process the news, especially close ones and this way, you have enough time to bond and talk to them. This will make it easier for both parties to say goodbye easily and there’s a big chance that they will offer some help for your preparation.
3. Giving notifications is not only limited to friends and family but to likewise to every institution you are connected to. This includes banks, credit card providers, insurance companies, charities and building societies. This task is a must as they will be sending important letters or documents. Additionally, your accounts on online shops such as Amazon, eBay and other online shops should also be changed to avoid issues. You surely don’t want important documents and your packages to be sent to the old address, right?
4. Informing your neighbours, relatives, and nannies is also necessary. Notify them when you already have the date of your home move. Also, if you have provided spare keys to them, be sure to collect them. Once you have collected the keys, you can just hand them over to your estate agent or solicitor.
5. Health is wealth so notify your doctors, dentist, and optician as soon as possible. Get your medical records before your move especially if you will be moving interstate. This way, you won’t need to go back to your old place which takes hours to travel. You can as well get the opportunity to get recommendations from your doctors, dentist, and optician for medical experts they know which will make it easier for you to adjust to the new place.
6. Get some extra supplies of your maintenance medicine. Once you have informed your doctors about your move, it's time to get a prescription since it would be a challenge especially if you haven’t found new doctors yet. This way you will have enough supply until you have visited the recommended medical expert of your former doctors.
7. If you have kids, there will be an additional task for you. You need to inform their schools about the move as you will need some documents necessary for your kids to transfer to a new school. A letter is necessary to inform them so be sure to write to their schools as soon as you have finalized the date of your move.
8. Notifying your existing utilities should be done at least a week before your move. This includes each utility such as water and electricity to avoid any problems in the future and surprising bills even if you didn’t use the services anymore. Schedule the disconnection a day or two after your move. This way, you still have the services if there are some delays in your move and if there are some things you will need to fetch inside your former home.
9. Internet and phone services are now essential in our daily lives. For internet services, it requires an installation so better set a schedule for them before your move. If you can, inform service providers a month in advance for them to have enough time to set it up which will make it possible to be available once you arrive at your new home. If you are moving interstate, remember to update your phone number with the correct area code.
10. List down important contact information you might need for your move. This list should include numbers of estate agents, insurance people, utilities as well as your account numbers for an easier inquiry. Of course, don’t forget the contact information of your movers and packers in Abu Dhabi for you to inform them of any changes to your plan.
11. Your phone would be most needed on your moving day so be sure to charge your phone battery. You will need it for contacting your movers in Dubai or movers in Abu Dhabi. A dying phone battery on a moving day is the last thing you would want.
12. Having extra cash on hand is advisable. This is a smart idea especially if you are moving interstate. This is a great help for any last-minute emergencies or some basic supplies for your move.
13. Remember to check if all your utilities are switched off before leaving your former home. Do this once all your belongings are packed and ready to be taken by your hired movers in Dubai or movers in Abu Dhabi. Surprise charges may incur if you forget to check them so be responsible and double-check every utility.
14. Lastly, get a list of recommended local services around your new area from your agent. This will make it easy for you to get local services that you need such as an electrician, plumber and other personnel for your home needs. I know these will be the last people you want in your new home, but it’s better than you are ready for any issues that may arise at your new home.
If you are currently preparing for your home move, you can print this out and include this in your checklist for a more organised move. These tips are not difficult to follow but will surely require some time as these tasks should be done by yourself. Thus, be sure to do these tasks as early as you can for you to have an easier and smooth home move.
Report a violation - this will only be shared with Wise Move. Please let us know: